ARE YOU CREATING NEW BUILDABLE LOTS? BUYING PART OF YOUR NEIGHBOR'S LAND? SELLING PART OF YOUR LAND? VACATING LOT LINES TO SATISFY CITY REQUIREMENTS?
A subdivision is the creation of new lots or the consolidation of existing, legally subdivided lots. Subdivision drawings or "plats" are prepared as a part of the subdivision process, reviewed and approved by the City and recorded in the office of the Clerk of the Circuit Court. When new lots are created, boundary monuments are set at the corners of the lots. When plats that serve to consolidate lots are prepared, monuments are set to mark the boundary corners.
A subdivision is required when:
- Creating new lots from a larger piece of land
- Buying a portion of a piece of land
- Selling a portion of a piece of land
- A construction project involving more than one lot is required to go through the formal site plan review process.
- City of Norfolk Survey Department: (757) 664-4673
- City of Portsmouth Planning Department: (757) 393-8836
- City of Chesapeake Planning Department: (757) 382-6176
- City of Virginia Beach Development Services Center: (757) 385-8277
- City of Hampton Land Development Services: (757) 727-8311
- City of Suffolk Planning Department: (757) 514-4060